Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Vernon Diner, 52/64 Diner

Vernon Diner appears on the outside like most other diners, easily accessible of the highway at 453 Hartford Turnpike in Vernon CT, open twenty four hours a day. I have gone here many times over the years at 3 am when the only things open were it or Denny's. In my life time the diner has changed ownership and been remodeled a number of times. I stopped in one day with my parents as my father wanted breakfast and not many places do breakfast all day. I was expecting the normal diner food I'd usually got there in the past. A decent cheap meal where you get what you pay for.

Right as you walk in there's a display case with all their deserts rotating around temptingly and their bar is on the other side behind the cash register. The booths have been replaced recently with a plusher style, the color is a dark brown making the whole place seem a bit darker. It feels a little crowded walking to your seat however once you sit down its a different story. The booths are very roomy and pleasant. The space of the diner is large enough to probably seat over a hundred people comfortably. Unlike other diners they have forgone most decorations except for a fish tank in one corner and a couple murals. I give the over all layout and design of the dining room a 12/16.

The menu is quite large, with various pictures through out its pages. Even with all the photos there are still plenty of choices for the choosy customer. The breakfast part is on the back and contains an extensive amount of items from eggs to pancakes to waffles and omelets served all day. The typical appetizers and items like sandwiches, burgers and salads fill the first few pages. There are some greek items as well such as souvlaki and moussaka. Then printed on normal computer paper is a large selections of daily specials. My eyes instantly caught roast leg of lamb on this page and I was going to be brave. Given the girth and sustenance of their menu it offers several choices for any one hungry. I give the overall menu content and structure a 14/16.

One of the main problems or benefits of this diner in the past was the wait staff. Some of them were very good and did their job perfectly. others because there are always so few on the floor could take a long time to get an order or refill a drink. Our waitress immediately brought over three glasses of water and a third set of silverware before even taking our order. My father ordered eggs, bacon, home fries and toast. My mother ordered a chef salad and french onion soup. I ordered the roast leg of lamb that came with roasted carrots and soup or salad, I choose corn chowder. The soups arrived quickly with a plate of garlic bread and corn bread. As we were finishing the soups our meals came out. I must say that I started to drool seeing my plate and even my mother's salad. Her salad was arranging quite nicely, it had a lot of height and color variations instead of everything just plopped on top. I give the execution and performance of the crew a 13/16.

Down to the nitty gritty, the corn and garlic bread were excellent though I have my suspicions both were pre-made. The french onion soup was bubbly and melty just like it should be, my chowder however needed salt and more corn in it. The breakfast was made just as my dad had ordered it and the salad was more than my mother could finish in two helpings. My lamb was the piece de resistance. The lamb was very thinnly cut on the bias and topped with a succulent au jus, and the carrots were cooked just right. They were tender but not overly mush as often is the case. I must say that I was not expecting food like this when I first walked into the diner. I give the quality and taste a 13/16.

I believe I covered most of this places unique features already except that the desert cabinet is always chock full of freshly made baked products. I did not have any on this visit but in prior visits I have enjoyed many of their offerings. I would reccomend any one who had a bad experience in the past to try it out again. I stand firmly every time some one mentions we go to Denny that we go to the Vernon Diner instead and I am not more resolute in this belief then ever.

My over all rating for the Vernon Diner is 52/64

1 comment:

  1. I used to always get their whole belly clams but the last few times i got it they were riddled with sand....I thought I was gonna need a dentist visit! Other than that great place!

    ReplyDelete